Here are just a few of the ways the Chamber works for the business community:
- Leader in the fight against the MTA payroll tax that was passed to bail the Metropolitan Transportation Authority out of a $1.2 billion debt.
- Key participant in region-wide effort to promote buying, giving, building and flying locally.
- Provides prime meeting space for members and others at the 19,000 SF Orange County Chamber of Commerce Business Center in Montgomery, built by the Chamber in 2007.
- With NYS funding, created an Entrepreneurial Assistance Program (EAP) to help small business owners operate their firms more effectively and productively.
- Brings government resources and programs to small businesses through initiatives including SCORE Counselors to America’s Small Business, the Procurement Technical Assistance Center (PTAC) and the Small Business Development Center (SBDC).
- Conducting an ongoing campaign to induce New York State government to reduce taxes, fees and mandates on businesses, and to curtail unnecessary state spending.
- Succeeded in reducing Workers’ Comp rates for the average employer in NYS over 20% -- the greatest decline in rates since 1975 -- as a result of having two registered lobbyists on staff to speak out for business concerns in Goshen, Albany and in Washington, DC.
- Continue to be a key advocate for Stewart International Airport, working hand in hand with the Port Authority of New York and New Jersey.
- Continue to provide loans through the Minority and Women Business Revolving Loan and the Mid-Hudson Regional Loan Funds.
- Created a mobile app for Chamber website (www.orangeny.com).
- Offers members a choice of affordable health insurance options through Orange Benefits Partners, a partnership with William A. Smith & Son Insurance.